Friday, January 1, 2010

Star-Flag Wall Hangings


In my last post from Christmas you saw a group picture of my family. Every part family unit is holding a wall hanging. The story here is that I came across a kit for this item at my local quilt shop. The kits are called Snap Sacks and there is a new kit put out each month. This wall-hanging was the July offering. I purchased one to make for myself because the price was right, it looked like a fairly quick and easy project, and it would be a good July 4th decoration.
As it turned out, this project did go quickly, and I liked it so much that I felt it would be a good gift for my children for Christmas. I hurried to the LQS (local quilt shop) and purchased the additional fabric it would take to make four more. When I started cutting the pieces for the wall hangings, lo and behold, there was enough fabric to make six! This was perfect because, now I would have enough to make one of the hangings for my DM (Dear Mother) and DS (Dear Sister). How lucky could I get? The fabric turned out to be enough because I changed my mind on how I would cut the red stripes. There is a stripe in that red fabric and I had originally thought that stripe should run the length of the stripe. When I discovered that by changing the cutting, I could get six items, it was the literal no brainer-I went for it.
These wall hanging projects even went on a small vacation with me! My husband is a fan of old cars and we attended a Lincoln Zephyr meet in Keosauqua, Iowa. While he helped with the judging on the concourse, I stayed in our motel room and sewed on these projects. Of course, after we returned home, they had to age a while since working took up some of my time-Holiday season was approaching. But the urge to finish before the holidays actually arrived took hold in time and all were successfully finished and in boxes long before any visitors arrived.
I still love this little hanging and I think all the recipients liked them too!
Till next time,
Judy

No comments: